Skip to Main Content

Skip to Sidebar / Section Navigation

Skip to Main Navigation

Organizations working with people with disabilities

Need some assistance in meeting the needs of a person with disabilities or a Deaf person? These organizations are a good place to start.

Vermont Center for Independent Living (VCIL)

A state-wide disability rights organization made up of citizens with disabilities working together for dignity, independence, and civil rights.

11 East State Street
Montpelier, Vermont 05602
802-229-0501 (voice / TTY)
800-639-1522 (toll-free voice / TTY)

Green Mountain Self-Advocates (GMSA)

Green Mountain Self Advocates is a Vermont self-advocacy organization run by people with developmental disabilities.   Groups meet to listen to each other, make new friends, learn about their rights, and tell politicians and others why people with disabilities are important.

73 Main Street, Suite 401
Montpelier, VT 05602

Deaf Vermonters Advocacy Services (DVAS)

DVAS is a non-profit organization made up of Deaf staff working in collaboration with community partners to meet the needs of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Vermonters who experience violence and abuse.

PO Box 61, South Barre, VT 05670
802-661-4240 (Voice/TTY/Videophone, Fax)
888-202-3827 (toll free hotline Voice/TTY)

Vermont Psychiatric Survivors

VPS is an independent organization run by people who have survived life in a psychiatric institution. VPS is open to all psychiatric survivors, consumers, ex-patients and patients. VPS provides advocacy, education, information and referral and facilitates mutual peer support

1 Scale Avenue
Rutland, VT 05701-4457
(800) 564-2106

Vermont Department of Disabilities, Aging, and Independent Living

A state agency with resources for people with disabilities and Deaf people

103 South Main Street
Weeks Building
Waterbury, VT 05671-1601

Human Rights Commission

The Commission is a state agency that protects people from unlawful discrimination in housing, state government employment, and public accommodations.

14-16 Baldwin Street
Montpelier, VT 05633-0001

Disability Rights Vermont (formerly Vermont Protection and Advocacy)

A statewide agency that investigates complaints of abuse, neglect and violations of civil rights.

141 Main Street / Suite 7
Montpelier, VT 05602

VT Office of the Attorney General – Civil Rights Unit

The Civil Rights Unit enforces employment laws that include the Vermont Fair Employment Practices Act, which prohibits discrimination in private employment.

Civil Rights Unit
Vermont Attorney General’s Office
109 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05609-1001

(888)745-9195 (Toll Free VT)
(802)828-2154 (Fax) (email)

Office on Violence Against Women (OVW) Accessing Safety Initiative

The Accessing Safety Initiative helps organizations and communities meet the needs of women with disabilities & Deaf women who are victims or survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, & stalking. Their website contains lots of information about disability and accommodations, domestic and sexual violence, and creating institutional change through collaboration.

Social Security Administration

Social Security pays disability benefits to people who can’t work because they have a medical condition that is expected to last at least one year.  Find out if you qualify.

U.S. Department of Justice

The DOJ maintains a website with extensive information about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the responsibilities of businesses, non-profits and government agencies to comply with and enforce the law.

World Health Organization

The directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.