A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) is a registered nurse (R.N.) who has advanced education and clinical preparation in the forensic examination of sexual assault victims. SANEs ensure that sexual assault victims consistently receive prompt and compassionate emergency care. SANEs are skilled at identifying physical and psychological needs. They ensure that victims will receive appropriate medical care and know what evidence to look for, how to document injuries and other forensic evidence, and provide referrals to VT Network Member Programs and for follow-up medical care.
The SANE Board regulates and certifies Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners in Vermont.
- Here is a flowchart outlining the certification process for SANEs
- NEW Certification of Adult/Adolescent SANE
- NEW Certification of Pediatric SANE
- Interstate Transfer of SANE Certification
- Sane Form D: Certification of Adult/Adolescent or Pediatric SANEs Who Have Been Practicing in Other States
- Recertification for SANEs
SANE Practice Resources
- SANE Patient Follow-up Report
- SANE Data Collection by Case
- SANE Data Collection by Quarter
- SANE SANE Kit Documentation Tool
For more information about the SANE Program, please contact:
Joan Carson, RN, CEN, SANE-A, SANE-P
SANE Clinical Coordinator